Meet Suzanne A. Koenig
Founder & CEO
Suzanne Koenig is president and founder of SAK Management Services LLC, a nationally recognized healthcare management and consulting services firm, with specific expertise in senior living, skilled nursing, and long-term care facilities. As owner and operator of SAK Management Services for over 30 years, Ms. Koenig provides a highly specialized combination of skills in the areas of operations improvement, staff development and quality assurance. As a senior living facility owner herself, Ms. Koenig understands the challenges and opportunities confronting senior living and long term care providers in managing the industry’s changing dynamics. Ms. Koenig’s meticulous precision in marketing and census development within the healthcare industry results in unparalleled operational enhancements.
Ms. Koenig is a Licensed Nursing Home Administrator and a Licensed Social Worker in multiple states, and her professional experience includes:
- Executive positions in marketing, development and operations management for both regional and national health care providers representing property portfolios throughout the country
- Numerous appointments as the Patient Care Ombudsman in several health care bankruptcy filings in Delaware and throughout the United States. Ms. Koenig is the most frequent court-appointed Patient Care Ombudsman to medical facilities, advocating for patient care, in the country.
- Management roles with over 500 facilities nationwide, providing in-house management to restore care and fiscal responsibility while establishing administrative teams to lead each facility in the future
Ms. Koenig holds a Master of Science Degree from Spertus College, Illinois, and a Bachelor of Social Work Degree from the University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana, Illinois. She is a frequent speaker for various healthcare industry associations and business affiliates where she conducts continuing education and training programs.
Board and Leadership
- Officer and Director for several long-term care provider associations
- Board member of the American Bankruptcy Institute and Co-Chair of the American Bankruptcy Institute’s (ABI) Health Care Insolvency Committee
- Member of the Global Turnaround Management Association (TMA) Board of Trustees
- Member of the Negotiating Team Task Force in Arizona, designing and negotiating the contract between the State and Counties for delivery of Indigent Health Services
- The only non-Lawyer and non-Attorney General invited by the National Association of Attorney Generals to participate on a Panel, titled “Patient Care Ombudsman” addressing the Patient Care Ombudsman’s interaction with the States in their role as Patient Care Regulator
- Testified before the House of Representatives as the Industry Expert in Funding the Long Term Care Industry
- NYIC Women’s Division Renaissance Award – 2022
- IWIRC Hall of Fame – 2022
By Suzanne Koenig and Nancy A. PetermanOriginally published in the ABI Journal, Vol. XXXV, No 1, January 2016 In 2005, the Bankruptcy Code was amended to include the “health care bankruptcy provisions,” which included a requirement that a patient care ombudsman...
By Nancy Peterman, Sherri Morissette, and Suzanne KoenigOriginally published in the ABI Journal, Vol. XXVI, No 6, July/August 2007 It has been almost two years since the enactment of the Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention and Consumer Protection Act of 2005 (BAPCPA) and its...
By Suzanne KoenigOriginally published in The Journal of Corporate Renewal, September 2005 How do turnaround professionals, crisis managers, lenders, financial advisory specialists, attorneys, and others who steer businesses to success and improved financial...